THE CLIENT. The Department for International Development (DFID), Federal Ministry of Finance Nigeria, The World Bank.
The Youth Enterprise with Innovation in Nigeria (YouWiN) initiative is the largest business plan competition in Africa. The main objectives of the programme were:
1. Attract innovations from young entrepreneurial aspirants
2. Provide a one time Equity grant for 1,200 selected aspiring entrepreneurs to start their business;
3. Provide business training across all geo-political zones in Nigeria
4. Encourage expansion, specialization and spin-offs of existing businesses in Nigeria
MENTORS. S4S conducted a train the trainer programme and direct training of the 1,250 entrepreneurs.
30 local mentors were hired to support the 1,200 award winners. Every mentor received live two-day training.In total 30 mentors were trained each based within the six geo political zones were trained during May 2012. These trainers were then distributed throughout Nigeria to provide mentoring to the 1200 entrepreneurs. S4S managed and monitored the Mentors across the 12 months of the program.
DIRECT TRAINING OF ENTREPRENEURS. S4S provided over 32 hours of live face to face training to all 1250 entrepreneurs in the form of 2 x 2 day boot camps across each of the six ge-political zones of Nigeria.
- 80% of participants were very satisfied with the training they received at the live workshops
- After attending the first boot camps, 75% of participants reported they would now focus on or do something differently with their customers and the market
- After the cash flow session, 60% of participants reported they felt very capable to now build their own cash flow statement.
- After the selling workshops, 93% of participants reported they would be implementing a new sales strategy in their business.
- After the training on hiring 90% reported they would implement a new hiring process
- After the training on measuring team performance, 86% reported they would implement a new measurement process